[Starlingx-discuss] Creating new packages for Initialization / Configuration files

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Thu Aug 9 01:34:33 UTC 2018

Brent, et al:

There are a number of packages that contain modified configuration files
that bring in alternate default files and in some cases modified
initialization scripts.

Currently there are puppet packages that do some configuration
management. We could continue with puppet for these configurations that
we want to disengage from the upstream patches, or we can use RPM package.

Thoughts?

Examples of configuration patches from stx-integ/base are:
centos-release (issue files)
iptables (iptables rules)
dhcp
vim (vimrc!)
lighttp
pam
sanlock
shadow
sudo
util-linux

Regarding centos-release Issue files:

As you saw today, I proposed removing the issue* files from a otherwise
unmodified centos-release package, is there a reason that we need to
restore those issue files for an Open Source OS Independent project?

Those modified issue files contain legalize that seems appropriate for a
commercial product, but not sure if makes sense for an Open Source
project that a downstream OSV or other company would likely modify for
their use anyway.

Sau!