[Starlingx-discuss] [Testing][Performance metrics] Feedback required

Perez, Ricardo O ricardo.o.perez at intel.com
Wed Aug 15 21:37:05 UTC 2018

Hello StarlingXers,

We have been thinking in how to measure StarlingX performance, in order to do so, we would like to present you an initial proposal in order to get feedback and ideas from you guys.

The proposed metrics for StarlingX performance are:

  *   Detection of failed VM - tracked on milliseconds
  *   Detection of failed compute node - tracked in milliseconds
  *   Auto controller node failure recovery - No impact on StarlingX
  *   Network link failure detection - tracked in milliseconds with no major impact on StarlingX

We are considering the following tools for taking  measurements and/or generating network traffic:

*        Iperf:  IPerf3 is a tool for active measurements of the maximum achievable bandwidth on IP networks.

o   https://iperf.fr/

*        Scapy: Simulating network traffic by creating packets and either saving a pcap file for further use or replaying the packets on a given interface

o   https://pypi.org/project/ScapyTrafficGenerator/

*        Ostinato: Is a packet crafter, network traffic generator and analyzer with a friendly GUI. Also a powerful Python API for network test automation.

o   https://ostinato.org/

*        T-rex: Is an open source, low cost, stateful and stateless traffic generator fueled by DPDK. It generates L4-7 traffic based on pre-processing and smart replay of real traffic templates

o   https://trex-tgn.cisco.com/

The proposed metrics cover functional areas that we believe are important for StarlinXers. Also, we know that Edge Computing Performance trending are focused on Latency and bandwidth, and we are going to land there (at some point).

Regards
-Ricardo