[Starlingx-discuss] merge to starlingx-staging/stx-ceilometer

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 20:51:58 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 2:19 PM, Chavolla de la Cabada, Daniel
<daniel.chavolla at windriver.com> wrote:
> We have a pull request to starlingx-staging/stx-ceilometer for backporting a set of Rocky and Queens commits (14 in total). They are needed for Gnocchi development. All these commits are cleanly ported.
> https://github.com/starlingx-staging/stx-ceilometer/pull/1
>
> We understand that we want to minimize changes in staringx-staging, but please note that this request fails into the "backporting an OpenStack commit that has been merged in a future OpenStack release and is needed for current development" category.
> Please let us know if an additional process is required.

No additional process, and thanks for the heads-up, I do not look at
the staging repos frequently.

I am repeating my comment in Github here:

I am OK with the set of backports, I would ask that you keep the
original commit message and add a pointer to the source of each commit
and to the story directly in the commit messages so that linkage can
be traced in the future.  Github PR messages are not kept in the repo
and all of that information is left behind in a git clone for example.
If changes to the original commit were necessary add a mention of that
also.

The practice when cherry-picking/backporting changes in OpenStack is
to keep the Commit-ID the same also as that allows Gerrit to do some
useful things.  Since these repos are not in Gerrit we lose that bit
but for the sake of consistency I would advise we keep the original
Comit-ID also.

Let me know if you have any questions.

dt

--