[Starlingx-discuss] StarlingX @ Production, Update Basics

Arce Moreno, Abraham abraham.arce.moreno at intel.com
Thu Dec 6 21:36:36 UTC 2018

Hi StarlingX Community,

In today's "Build Team" meeting [0] one of the topics discussed was "ISO for release and milestones"
and a couple of basic questions around StarlingX in a production environment came to my mind.

I am looking for community guidance in any form how this phase will look like in near future,
please consider I am a "early stage cloud knowledge in process" person trying to go beyond
the "pip install <package> --upgrade"

[ Install ]

I am looking for an Edge Computing solution, I found about StarlingX, get the latest official ISO and
deployed in a configuration suitable for my needs. Cool! I have it up and running.

[ Update ]

Sometime later another release or milestone comes and some basic questions and own limited answers
start popping up:

- Should I do the upgrade or not? This depends entirely if the new release offers a specific feature I need.
  Any other reason to upgrade?

- I have decided that new release is needed, grabbing a new ISO image and deploying could make
  sense in "All In One" deployment but not in deployments of 2 digits nodes.
  Is there a preferred way to update?

- Here is a list of possible methods to get latest version for OpenStack components and
  StarlingX Services:
  - What would be that typical scenario for each of the methods below might be used?
  - Do we have a priority for each of them?
  - Are we targeting only one method? Two?

  Methods:

  Software Upgrade through stx-update
  RPM Upgrade
  Docker Container