[Starlingx-discuss] Banned C-Functions

Young, Ken Ken.Young at windriver.com
Mon Dec 17 15:19:22 UTC 2018

All,

As was discussed on the community call, the Starling X security team has been working on a banned c-function policy to help avoid the introduction of security vulnerabilities.  Up to now, this policy has been a draft.  We have resolved all outstanding issues with the policy and we are currently looking for community feedback on the policy before asking the cores to enact the policy.  It can be found here:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StarlingX/Security/Banned_C_Functions

The goal is to gather and resolve any community issues by January 9th.  These can be discussed either on the mailing list or in the community meetings on Wednesday, 10 AM EDT.  After this point, the ask would be for the cores to ensure that no new instances of banned functions are added to the code.

Note that a clean-up of the current instances is not current planned.  Once the policy has been in place and well understood by the community, a low priority hardening project will be launched to remove the current instances of these functions.  This has been added to the security backlog.

A big thank you for Cindy Xie pulled this together for us.

Regards,
Ken Y