[Starlingx-discuss] Restructuring round 2

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 19:55:35 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 2:10 PM, Scott Little
<scott.little at windriver.com> wrote:
> On 18-07-17 12:38 PM, Saul Wold wrote:
>> A simple high level question, would it make sense to segregate out
>> everything that is CentOS into base?  That way as we move to more of an OS
>> independent setup, the core directory could possibly go away?
>
> [SL]  We were envisioning function rather than upstream source as the reason
> for the categories.  'Base' are those packages that are pretty much
> universal to a Linux server.

I haven't compared RHEL directly to Ubuntu in a number of years in
this regard but there used to be the kinds of differences that just
made things frustrating.  WRS has been through the Yocto -> CentOS
mapping already, maybe that was smoother than I am imagining?

I lean toward abstracting the distro layer as much as possible with a
small list of exceptions (kernel, libvirt,, qemu, etc) that need
special attention.  this can always be done later though, I don't see
anything here that makes it harder down the road, if we can make it
easier that might be a win.

> [SL] Tools vs utilities.  Not clear I'll admit.  Utilities are small,
> special purpose, shortcuts that could otherwise be accomplished by the right
> set of CLI commands.
> Tools are bigger, more complex, e.g. investigating and analyze the state of
> the system.

FWIW, I names stx-tools with the distinction of 'things used to
_build_ the system' as opposed to 'things used to operate/diagnose the
system'.

>>> Most of this is just moving code around.  A few path corrections, but no
>>> new code.  The number and size of the reviews will be huge, and the code
>>> should all have been inspected once before.  Is there a way to fast track
>>> this? Would there be strong objections to me just doing a +2/+1 without
>>> waiting for independent review?

We need to stick to the review process as much as possible, we're
already getting into some bad habits that will be hard to break.

I think it would be useful to post the reviews as soon as possible and
mark them WIP (workflow -1) so they don't merge.  That's where the
specific discussions about tweaks can/should happen.

Also, if the reviews for each repo are stacked we can build a manifest
file to pull the reviews directly from Gerrit and actually test a
build before merging it.

dt

--

Dean Troyer