[Starlingx-discuss] Python 2to3 code porting

Chen, Yan yan.chen at intel.com
Tue Jul 24 04:37:43 UTC 2018

Hi, there,
I just wonder if anyone is already working on this task now?
I created a story days ago, and studied most of our Python code and the python rpms in the system.
Here's the conclusions:

1.      Most of the Tis dependency python packages are already Python 2/3 compatible, but still some exceptions:

a.      The following packages are Python2 only and same for the latest code tree:

                                                    i.     createrepo-0.9.9 (used by cgcs-patch-controller)

                                                   ii.     net-snmp-5.7.2 (used by snmp-audittrail)

                                                  iii.     pyparted-3.9 (used by sysinv)

b.      The following packages are Python 2 but the latest version has Python 3 support, need upgrade:

                                                    i.     python-daemon-1.6 (used by logmgmt)
             * This analysis is still on-going, more packages may be found.

2.      The Python modules for Python 2/3 compatibility (python-futures and python-six) are already included.

3.      Some of the openstack packages/dependencies are Python 2 only, we may need to find a good version of Openstack to upgrade.

We can start to clean our code first, I think we follow the guideline here, one topic each time, how do you think?
http://python-future.org/compatible_idioms.html

Here's the link for the story:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2002909

Yan