[Starlingx-discuss] How to install StarlingX

Arce Moreno, Abraham abraham.arce.moreno at intel.com
Mon Jul 30 20:30:51 UTC 2018

> Please check starlingx wiki for installation guide:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StarlingX/Installation_Guide

Thanks Cindy!

> Hi guys,
>
> I am StarlingX user. I have two questions.
> First, How to install StarlingX?
> Second, What version should I install?

Hi Haibin!

I will take advantage of Cindy's answer, your questions and expand what we currently have
in StarlingX for people willing to participate. Welcome to the StarlingX Project!

We are encouraging everyone to learn about the whole process of:

- [0] Building
- [1] Installing
- [2] Validating

[0][Building]

This guide takes you through:

- Setting up your Development Environment
- Building a CentOS based repository consisting in RPM, SRPMS and Tarballs
- Creating StarlingX packages by applying patches to the downloaded SRPMS and Tarballs
- With all the packages required, building the StarlingX ISO

[1][Installing]

The guide takes 2 software configurations and creates 4 different deployments:

- Standard Controller
  - StarlingX Cloud with Dedicated Storage
  - StarlingX Cloud with Controller Storage
- All-in-one
  - StarlingX Cloud Duplex
  - StarlingX Cloud Simplex

We recommend to follow today the "StarlingX Cloud with Controller Storage" since the process has been exercised
several times giving us a successful StarlingX ISO installation in the last days.

"StarlingX Cloud Simplex" should be completed end of this week and the remaining 2 by next week.

One immediate thing you can help with is to feedback the whole installation process taking the User Guide and
the scripts the team has written in the form of a Gerrit Review [3]:
    "Deployment: StarlingX Installation in a Virtualized Environment"

[2][Validating]

The guide takes us for now through 2 processes:

- 2 instances running by getting a Cirros image, creating the appropriate image, flavors, network, subnetwork and finally
  having those 2 Cirros based servers running.
- Check OVS/DPDK health.

In summary, everyone's contributions are highly appreciated in any form, from identifying mismatches to
suggesting changes. Once you think our guides are healthy enough to follow, we will have a Tech Writer
taking care of "having well written Getting Started Guides".

Please do not hesitate to contact us through any of our available channels, we are more than happy to help.

Welcome to the StarlingX Project [4]

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StarlingX/Developer_Guide
[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StarlingX/Installation_Guide
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StarlingX/Validation_Guide