[Starlingx-discuss] Build Packages: Fail to Build BASH with Simultaneous Jobs

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Jun 13 23:31:53 UTC 2018

On 06/13/2018 03:46 PM, Arce Moreno, Abraham wrote:
> During a recent compilation of StarlingX build failures happened for package
> bash-4.2.46-29 [0]
> 2 ways to fix:
> - in a workstation with 8 CPUs, it is fixed by cleaning the component and
> running a second time via build-pkgs
> - in a server with 88 CPUs, the failure is fixed by removing the -j option from
> patch [1]
> Any advice is highly appreciated.

The patch in question added -j"%(nprocs)" to the "make" line as part of an
attempt to speed up the overall build on machines with many CPUs.

The fact that it's failing points to a flaw in the upstream package.  I see two
options, either track down and fix the problem with parallel builds or else
remove the "-j" option until the upstream package fixes parallel builds.

Chris