[Starlingx-discuss] Proposal: Release Plan

Jones, Bruce E bruce.e.jones at intel.com
Thu Jun 21 16:05:55 UTC 2018

I would like to propose the following dates and milestones for the first StarlingX release.  All of this is documented at https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-planning.  Please review and provide feedback.

Going forward I'd like to figure out how to align with the overall OpenStack release cadence.  That topic will be discussed at the September PTG - you can find the draft agenda at https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-PTG-agenda.  Please feel free to add any topics you'd like to see discussed there.

       brucej

Release Planning

We would like to complete our first release in time to have it available (and be able to talk about how cool it is!) at the OpenStack Summit in Berlin on November 13, 2018.

Proposed schedule
RC1: August 29th
RC2: September 26th - Feature Freeze
RC3: October 24th - Bug freeze - only absolutely critical bug fixes after this
RC4: November 7th - Final release candidate

Theme: Deliver a release of  StarlingX  that supports containers and meets our KPI targets while creating the basic project infrastructure, building the community and pushing carried patches to their upstream communities

Our goals for this release are:

*         Create, define and document all of the basic project infrastructure
*         Recruit, attract and retain a community of developers and operators
*         Begin the process of pushing carried patches upstream and reducing technical debt
*         Add support for containerized Openstack Services  and containerized workloads (stretch goal!)