[Starlingx-discuss] Proposal: Basic development guidelines / rules

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Jun 21 17:58:49 UTC 2018

On 06/21/2018 11:27 AM, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:26 AM, Jones, Bruce E
> <bruce.e.jones at intel.com> wrote:
>> Dean - for larger changes, do you recommend we adopt a spec writing (Blueprint) process?  If so, how would that be done?
>
> We need to do something to review design and implementation.
> 'blueprint' is a launchpad term that is now overloaded in akraino so
> let's not use it.
>
> Some Openstack projects added a spec process, including a specs repo,
> to iterate on the design and  implementation and worked that in
> Gerrit.  That is not the best forum for some kinds of discussions so
> those often got held in Irc or the -dev mailing list.  And some
> projects used both specs and blueprints.
>
> This is one area that I think we need to suss out what we actually
> want and not just fall back because there is no clear single precedent
> to borrow.  At this point a single collection of documents and review
> process seems sufficient, we could manage them via Storyboard or
> follow the specs repo format.  I don't have a strong opinion there.

As I see it, the main benefit of an OpenStack spec is that it goes through
Gerrit and thus lets people review and comment on the iterations of the design.
  It also lets you go back years later and maybe figure out why things were done
the way they were.

I think that it's valuable to allow people to comment on in-progress designs, so
as long as there's some way to do that I don't care about the exact mechanism.

Chris