[Starlingx-discuss] Work on reducing config patch for ntp

Liu, ZhipengS zhipengs.liu at intel.com
Wed Oct 17 09:11:09 UTC 2018

Hi Penny,

I'd like to discuss with you about this 2 patches.
ntpd-started-no-g-option.patch    //change  /etc/sysconfig/ntpd
ntp-spec-add-TiS-custom-config-files.patch // add ntp.conf file to /etc/

Can we remove this 2 patches?
In stx/stx-config/puppet-manifests/src/modules/platform/manifests/ntp.pp,
it already generates ntp.conf file by puppet

file { 'ntp_config':
      ensure  => file,
      path    => '/etc/ntp.conf',
      mode    => '0640',
      content => template('platform/ntp.conf.server.erb'),
    }

For /etc/sysconfig/ntpd, I'd like to add this custom file in ntp.pp, then we can remove related patch.

Any comment from you? Thanks!

BTW, I saw some other packages also have pp file in stx/stx-config/puppet-manifests/src/modules/platform/manifests/
So I can do some modification on existed pp to change/add some config file, right?

For SW patching scenario, it is OK for non-in-service update. After reboot, puppet will apply config again.
But for in-service update, without reboot, how to apply this custom file again after patching.  That's why I thought of using patching-script.
Do you have any other proposal?

Thanks!
zhipeng