[Starlingx-discuss] Build of StarlingX ISO on CentOs System

Cordoba Malibran, Erich erich.cordoba.malibran at intel.com
Wed Oct 24 23:35:10 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-10-24 at 18:09 -0500, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:58 PM Rajesh Jha <Rajesh.Jha at rsystems.com>
> wrote:
> >  Since the developers guide has the steps followed in making an iso
> > image of StarlingX taking Ubuntu 16.04 as the host OS. Therefore
> > all scripts need to be updated to reflect the corresponding centOS
> > commands in the script. So is there any scripts available for
> > CentOS development environment as well so we can refer and run it.
>
> We (Brian and I at Intel) initially developed the CentOS container
> approach to building StarlingX because what we had available to do
> builds were Ubuntu 16.04 systems.  You could conceivably just run the
> build directly on CentOS systems without the container.  This in fact
> is how many of the developers at Wind River work.

I use Fedora 28 for my daily work and the only issue I faced was this
one: https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2002560

So, the only OS specific steps are to create the builder container,
which are the `make base-build` and `make build` commands. Once you
have your container, then everything after the `./tb.sh exec` command
should work.

We can try to build the container on CentOS 7 to see is the steps work
and update the documentation if it's needed.