[Starlingx-discuss] [Build] unified build command suggestions

McKenna, Jason Jason.McKenna at windriver.com
Wed Sep 5 13:31:09 UTC 2018

Hi Cesar and build team,

I've been thinking about the proposal for the unified build command as discussed in the last build team meeting.  "stx --build-iso" or "stx --create-iso" was suggested as command for building all targets - source rpms, binary rpms, and the final ISO.  We should probably change that command name to "stx --build-all" or something similar.  This would meet the immediate request of providing a single command to wrap around the existing steps, and would allow us to grow the tool's functionality without tying us to the concept of "an ISO == a build".  As a bonus, it allows us to improve the granularity the build commands while maintaining a consistent command naming convention.  A potential first cut of commands could be:

# Download items specified in lst files (replaces download_mirror.sh)
stx --mirror-download

# Places downloaded items in the specified mirror path
stx --mirror-populate <mirror_path>

# Do all mirror steps
stx --mirror-all <mirror_path>

# sets up a build environment with artifacts from the specified mirror path (replaces generate-cgcs-centos-repo.sh and populate_downloads.sh)
stx --build-env <mirror_path>

# builds specified package or all packages (replaces build-pkgs)
stx --build-pkgs [pkg_name]

# Produces an ISO from current build (replaces build-iso)
stx --build-iso

# Runs previous steps (I'm not sure if running --build-env during build-all is a good idea, but perhaps we could skip the --build-env if no mirror_path is specified)
stx --build-all [mirror_path]

Future commands like --build-patch or --sign-pkgs or --project-integrate or wherever this grows, could be added as more advanced use cases are fleshed out.

Jason