[Starlingx-discuss] python-eventlet upgrade issue

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 16:57:50 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 9:51 PM, Lin, Shuicheng <shuicheng.lin at intel.com> wrote:
> Anyone familiar with python-eventlet? I meet a problem when upgrade
> python-eventlet from “0.18.4-2” to “0.20.1-2”, when do CentOS7.5 upgrade.
[...]
> The issue is that, after upgrade to 0.20.1-2 version, these functions don’t
> work as expected.

Looking at upstream OpenStack requirements for Pike, eventlet is
listed in global-requirements (the minimum required version) as

 eventlet!=0.18.3,>=0.18.2,!=0.20.1,<0.21.0  # MIT

and in upper-contraints.txt (what is actually tests in the gate) as

 eventlet===0.20.0

In order to be co-installable with OpenStack we must maintain similar
versions for the STX services.

FWIW, rocky's versions of the above are similar:

 eventlet!=0.18.3,!=0.20.1,!=0.21.0,!=0.23.0

and

 eventlet===0.20.0

Also note that OpenStack is preparing[0] to raise the u-c version of
eventlet to 0.24.1, which I believe is current master.

We should be preparing 0.20.0 for packaging.  Even though OpenStack
master is mostly ready for 0.24.1 I doubt that Pike is nor will it be
made so...

Background

OpenStack maintains both minimum and maximum version requirements for
Python dependencies that must be shared by all OpenStack projects.
This is to maintain co-installability since Python can not install
multiple versions of a package without resorting to techniques such as
virtual environments.  There are CI jobs for checking these, and
projects are free to be stricter in their reqirements.txt files as
long as they fit within the globally defined min/max.

StarlingX services (flock) need to be compatible with Pike, although
it is not currently enforced.

dt

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-August/133728.html

--