[Starlingx-discuss] [Build] unified build command suggestions

Cordoba Malibran, Erich erich.cordoba.malibran at intel.com
Wed Sep 5 22:55:19 UTC 2018

> +1 on consistency :)
>
> I think we need discussion around what we're really trying to
> accomplish.  Going back to Cesar's initial proposal, the problem he
> wanted solved was that his team felt that there were too many
> commands required to produce an ISO after you've downloaded the
> mirrors (generate-cgcs-centos-repo.sh, build-pkgs, build-iso) and
> wanted to wrap those in a single command.  Please correct me if I've
> misstated the problem, Cesar.  Furthermore, I think you were looking
> for a command which did the steps that a developer would execute and
> not do the steps that a developer would not (downloading the mirror,
> is intended to be done at a per-site level, not a per-developer
> level, and would not necessarily be included in the single-command).

I think the biggest motivation behind this effort is to simplify the
build procedure for newcomers. It is true that in well established
infrastructure there will be commands that won't be part of the common
workflow for developers.

However, since we started to build StarlingX we faced problems to
understand and to repeat the procedure. From some emails in the mailing
list we can see that new people trying to build have problems of
different kinds. It would be good to have something that can tell "You
can't start a build because you don't have a mirror downloaded" or "You
have packages in the .lst files that are not in your mirror, try to
update your mirror".

I think that in opensource, adoption is one of the key parts. We need
to improve the procedure for new people so they can continue using our
project, otherwise they will jump to another, more easy think to build.

-Erich