[Starlingx-discuss] Installation_Guide_Virtual_Environment / Ubuntu Specific

Arce Moreno, Abraham abraham.arce.moreno at intel.com
Fri Sep 7 14:15:31 UTC 2018

Million thanks for your feedback Scott!

> ok so, Ive gotten my ISO built finally and decided to move forward, it did
> actually install and run under kvm on fedora 28, alas it would not let me run i
> hunted around and got the interface up on dhcp and logged in...
>
> sudo config_controller as it requires 4 interfaces to start up
>
> so hunted the wiki a bit and found this guide
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StarlingX/Installation_Guide_Virtual_Environ
> ment
> <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StarlingX/Installation_Guide_Virtual_Enviro
> nment/Duplex>

Yep! This is the begging of the installation instructions where all setup is described.

You will see some changes happening in the next days due to the addition of  Bare Metal
Installation and once that is done, we will have a team of Tech Writers to polish to a level
our community feels comfortable with.

> where it plainly states
>
> Software Requirements
> A workstation computer with:
>
> Operating System: Freshly installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit Proxy settings
> configured (if applies) Git KVM/VirtManager Libvirt Library QEMU Full System
> Emulation Binaries <stx-deployment> project StarlingX ISO Image
> Deployment Environment Setup This section describes how to set up a
> StarlingX Controller Storage system in a workstation computer. After
> completing these steps, you will be able to deploy and run your StarlingX
> system on the following Linux distribution:
>
> Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit
>
> ... Now <RANT> I have to ask Why.... Seriously? </RANT>

From the Virtual installation perspective, we wanted one Linux distribution so everyone
could be aligned with but this shall not be the only distro to support mid term.

We will appreciate also your feedback once we include our Bare Metal installation
instructions.

> We dont all use Ubuntu... StarlingX isnt even based on Ubuntu.... and you
> actualy put more effort into making it ubuntu specific then was needed to
> allow for other hosts operating systems. Okay, any way to proceed i ran
> networking config, no worries, went to run

Some changes has been done at the wiki level to include the setup of network interfaces
which was recently added.

> and ... TADA..... functionally working on Fedora 28 and actually installing at
> this moment..... so... seriously i have to ask....
>
> when do you want to offer me a job..... because this shouldnt be
> happening..... anyway..... I find it awesome that you used CentOS for the
> platform, great choice...
> but why would you force uus to use Ubuntu as the host... personally from an
> R&D perspective, We all know theres more then one decent desktop
> distribution. I would alone ask that some attention maybe be paid to making
> it more distro friendly, because i can almost guarantee I wount be the first
> one to go down this path.

You are the first to ask and this is enough to prioritize and make it more distro friendly.

> Maybe im ranting a bit... but 5 days to get to this point on something you
> would like to be considered as a viable openstack platform.... Yes, i
> understand its development, its always in flux, though I fought to achieve just
> getting this far.... I am almost positive others wount be as patient, because we
> all know when a corporation delivers something new and shiny, users well...
> they just want it to work... and if it doesnt its going to potentially give the
> distro and the company behind it a black eye....

That is the goal, and you are helping this community shape it so once again, thank you
for taking your time to build, install and feedback.

> This is just my observations.... from a senior level management perspective of
> what Ive seen in the industry... if yyou want to be accepted, I belive you will
> maybe need more polishh... but so fgar great work, in sight of a few things
> maybe over looked.

All observations are welcome so please allow us to keep this channel open with you
to get more of your validation of changes and new observations.