[Starlingx-discuss] Fedora Libvirt patch - required to deploy on Fedora 28, probably other non-ubuntu specific

Michel Thebeau michel.thebeau at windriver.com
Mon Sep 10 17:35:34 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-10 02:03 AM, scottk at optimcloud.com wrote:
> September 10, 2018 6:16 AM, "Cordoba Malibran, Erich" <erich.cordoba.malibran at intel.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for the patch. I'm also using Fedora for the deployment and I've seen this problems as well
>> as other in the creation of the docker images[0] for building.
> I had 0 issues creating the docker images on fedora 28 that was all pretty straight forward using docker-ce
> other then some things in the guide from inside the image, after they got fixed up i did get an iso
>
>> This part of the building and deployment process is in an early stage of development and thus,
>> there are bugs and lack of functionality on some parts. Like you pointed out, the support for more
>> flavors in hosts for virtual deployments is one of the missing parts and we are happy to receive
>> feedback :)
> My thoughts as well but it seems these were the tools used originally for the work, i believe its now they are starting to work slowly towards a more generic structure
>
>> What you think about sending this patch as a review for the stx-tools[1] repository? It would be
>> good to have it landed.
> Id be happy to even help further, and forward it to the list, but I would prefer to wait for the invite, plus i probably need creds and such setup so i could.
>
> Its gone to the mailing list as of now, they also from a prior email have already negated the libvirt iso file check
>
> https://github.com/Nossiac/mtk-openwrt-feeds/blob/master/about-mtk-wifi.md
>
> it plainly didnt work on my system, as soon as it was removed it moved me forward
>
>> Anyway, I have two open questions regarding you patch (not necessary question to you).
>> 1) Is it possible to remove the seclabel from the ubuntu version as well? Having this will block us
>> to have these xml definitions, we would need to "generate" this xml files based on the host that we
>> will use.
> Youll see in my patch i also edited the XML defs, across the board i belive they can also be made more generic and still be functional
>
>> 2) Why was needed to remove the check for "application/x-iso9660-image"?
> The call simply errored out on my system under KDE, its a mime-type def also i dont see what it would be required, as we could use gcow2 or raw filesystem images also in the future. I saw it as not needed.

I'd like to understand why it errored on your system.  What is the value
of $FILETYPE for you?

The command line option for variable "ISOIMAGE" is "-i: StarlingX ISO
image".  And is inserted into xml as:
     <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
       <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
       <source file='ISO'/>    #  <=== sed "s;ISO;$ISOIMAGE;"

Let's defer changes to the parameter checking until gcow2/raw are
considered as options.  Or, if you know that those fs types can be
inserted into a CDROM, then also rephrase the usage() text and variable
"ISOIMAGE".