[Starlingx-discuss] Notes from today's StarlingX PTG meeting

Jones, Bruce E bruce.e.jones at intel.com
Wed Sep 12 23:49:37 UTC 2018

Here my notes from our StarlingX PTG session today.  Slides reviewed in the meeting are attached.

PTG Results and Decisions

  *   Bruce reviewed and got feedback on his draft Feature Planning proposal,
o    Action: Bruce to publish an updated draft to the wiki and seek community feedback

  *   Bruce also reviewed and got feedback on the draft Governance
o    Action: Bruce to publish the updated version to the wiki and seek feedback

  *   Brent led a discussion of when and how to rebase our OpenStack content.  Rebasing has been found to take up to six months in the past.  While rebasing isnt directly tied to our patch upstreaming efforts, rebasing the carried patches is a big part of the work.
o    Action: We agreed to defer an OpenStack update until the July'19 release which will use Stein.  Work needs to start in Jan'19 to allow us to meet that date.  We should expect the effort to be large and complex.
o    Action: We agreed that for now we will update OpenStack once per year.
o    Action: We agreed to look at prioritizing patch upstreaming that would more quickly lead to zero patch content for some components, which might not lower the patch count as much but would lower the number of patched components.

  *   Bruce led a brief discussion on the Python2->3 transition.
o    Action We agreed to get the stx services Python3 clean for the March'19 release.

  *   Brent led a discussion on Multi-OS support.  It evolved into a discussion on how to enable Clear Linux and how to _not_ waste effort - we want to leverage the work the Intel team does to enable Clear to help us accelerate Multi-OS support for StarlingX.
o    Action: The TSC approves a new sub-project for Multi-OS.  The current/proposed Clear Linux sub-project will be changed to be a deliverable of the Multi-OS sub-project.  We will also deliver Ubuntu support.  Team Lead candidates Bruce, TBD..  Project Lead candidates Brent, Saul, tbd..  Team TBD.  We are looking for volunteers who can help contribute - in a lead role or as a developer.  Help from the Ubuntu community would be awesome.  Experts in StarlingX SW Update and Patching especially needed.
o    Action: This work will get much easier as we work the carrier patch backlog down.  Additional devs needed to help with this.

  *   Saul led a discussion on Build issues.  He proposes using Zulu (UTC) timestamps for the build optimization effort.  Long term as we move toward Multi-OS we should continue to use the build containers which are easy to build for any OS.
o    Action: We agree with Saul's proposal, Saul to communicate with the Build team.  Meanwhile Chuy is working on a wrapper script to wrap the build commands to allow one command list - the code is in review.

  *   Brent presented an update on the initial plans for containerization.
o    A set of specs will be prepared for review for the first phase of the work (containerized OpenStack Services)

  *   Brent presented an update on the service de-coupling.
o    Action: A spec is needed for post-October de-coupling work.

  *   Greg presented an update from the Edge WG that had a very intense discussion yesterday about how to define a MVP architecture for Edge.  It's based on a Federated Keystone and has two main implementation options.  There are two key changes that need to be made to enable the architecture, one to be driver by Wind River, the other by James (from Oath/Verizon).

  *   We discussed the need for Zuul jobs and for Zuul-based test content, including DevStack API level tests.  We would like to accelerate these efforts.

  *   Bruce provided an update on the Security team's work, which is following the OpenStack Security team process.  Most of the work will be hidden from public view as we work through identifying potential security issues in an embargoed forum.