[Starlingx-discuss] CentOS 7.5 upgrade status update

McKenna, Jason Jason.McKenna at windriver.com
Tue Sep 18 14:27:52 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

I do not think the kernel signature item is a real issue, but an artifact of how we built the test image.

The warning reported is basically saying that the driver was compiled against a different build of the kernel than is currently running.  This is typical for intermediate builds where a kernel was compiled, the driver was compiled, and the kernel compiled again (which was the case when I was attempting to get the CentOS 7.5 test load built as the contents in the repos were changing).  I will clean the kernel driver packages the next time I perform a build and we can verify that the error disappears.

-J

For anyone interested in technical details, the kernel regenerates a key pair every time it is built, and compiles one half into the kernel and puts the other half in the kernel-devel package.  Packages (like kernel drivers) building against the kernel-devel package will sign themselves with the key from the package.  Upon loading a driver, the kernel will validate that the signature on the driver matches the half of the key which the kernel has access to.  A mismatched key indicates that the kernel running and kernel-devel package which the driver was built against came from 2 different builds of the kernel, and marks the kernel tainted as a warning.