[Starlingx-discuss] [StarlingX] Use Cinder generic image cache to replace raw caching

Li, Xiaoyan xiaoyan.li at intel.com
Thu Sep 20 02:17:29 UTC 2018

Hi, Brent

The following are mechanism of Cinder volume cache.

Creation of cached volume:

It creates a cached volume in the backend storage when creating from an image.

1.       Create_from_image:

https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/stable/pike/cinder/volume/flows/manager/create_volume.py#L890

2.       Return image cache entry: If not existed, it creates a new entry.

https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/stable/pike/cinder/volume/flows/manager/create_volume.py#L746

3.       Create a new image-volume and cache entry for it:

https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/stable/pike/cinder/volume/flows/manager/create_volume.py#L872

Use a cached volume when creating a volume:

https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/stable/pike/cinder/volume/flows/manager/create_volume.py#L723-L735

 Delete the cache volume: When capacity and number of cache entries exceed specified limit, it deletes cache entries (cached volumes).

https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/stable/pike/cinder/image/cache.py#L164

Best wishes
Lisa