[Starlingx-discuss] StarlingX Initial Governance

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Sep 27 15:13:18 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I reread the Governance document[1] and found an inconsistency we'll
likely want to address before the initial TSC formally blesses it:

In "Technical Steering Committee":
> It will be comprised of 7 members who will be appointed at Launch but fully elected by the Contributors within the first year

then:
> In April 2020, the remaining 4 seats are up for election

"appointed at Launch" is a bit vague, I would use "initially appointed"
(which would start the clock to when the TSC is fully formed). But more
importantly, "fully elected by the Contributors within the first year"
is at odds with still having appointed members around in March, 2020.
The date or the period needs to be adjusted to match.

We'll also likely want to clarify initial terms for the non-WR and
non-Intel initial TSC members. One option is to appoint one of them with
a short term, and the other two with long terms. Another option would be
to randomly select the short one (like for the WR and Intel
initially-appointed seats)

Finally, I would suggest saying that if somone steps down from their TSC
seat, their seat should automatically be up for election at the next
round. So imagine someone that is initially appointed for a year,
stepping down after 4 months: their seat would be up for reelection,
which would make the first election determine 4 seats instead of just 3.
That will facilitate keeping an active TSC with a limited number of
stale members.

That level of subtlety could be conveyed through a separate document
that details the corner cases of the election process, if you find it
too distracting for the Governance document.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Starlingx/Initial_Governance

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)