[Starlingx-discuss] ipxe boot iso?

Arce Moreno, Abraham abraham.arce.moreno at intel.com
Wed Apr 10 13:46:23 UTC 2019

Hi Curtis,

> Out of curiosity has anyone ipxe booted stx from the ISO?

Yes, I have tried a couple of times being able to load both the kernel and initrd from other Linux distros and StarlingX,
At the end I was able to boot and install other distros but not StarlingX, here you have all my learning written:
  https://github.com/xe1gyq/starlingx/blob/master/Packet.md

> I'm doing a bit of testing in trying to get stx installed on baremetal packet.com
> <http://packet.com>  nodes and will need to ipxe boot. I thought I'd ask before I
> went to far into working on it. The easy way of using "kernel
> https://boot.netboot.xyz/memdisk iso raw" and the ISO via http did not work,
> ran out of memory, so might have to get a little more complicated. :)

However, whehn working with StarlingX ISO, I run into the issue of not being able to get into the console, Packet Customer Service greatly supported me (Chat with an agent is a great option) and reply back after investigating:

<Begin Packet Customer Service>

For the ISO issue we would suggest on setting the kernel options. Let him know that our x86 servers require console=ttyS1,115200n8, and our aarch64 servers require console=ttyAMA0,115200
We recommend to try adding 'console=ttyS1,115200n8' on your t1.small server
eg. kernel https://boot.netboot.xyz/memdisk iso raw console=ttyS1,115200n8

<End Packet Customer Service>

So, I tried that once but got this error:

iPXE> kernel https://boot.netboot.xyz/memdisk iso raw console=ttyS1,115200n8
https://boot.netboot.xyz/memdisk... ok
Could not select: Exec format error (http://ipxe.org/2e008081)

Due to other stuff going around, I did not follow up, I will try it again this week and see how far I get.  Let me know if you want me to help with any specific task.

Best Regards
Abraham