[Starlingx-discuss] Community Call (April 10, 2019)

Zvonar, Bill Bill.Zvonar at windriver.com
Wed Apr 10 15:28:49 UTC 2019

Notes from the April 10 call.

Bill...

Project mission statement - https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-mission-statement (ildikov)
  - Ildikó created the etherpad linked just above, looking for Community input, she'll raise it at the TSC tomorrow as well

StoryBoard / Launchpad Re-tagging -- COMPLETE
  - no issues, seems to have gone very smoothly

Denver Planning: Open Infrastructure Summit & PTG
  - links
      - https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-ptg-preparation-denver-2019
      - https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/edge-wg-ptg-preparation-denver-2019
      - https://www.openstack.org/summit/denver-2019/summit-schedule/global-search?t=starlingx
  - Ildikó is thinking of getting some space in the OSF lounge, she'll update on this next week

Quick item - there are automated release notes being generated daily. Would the community like them posted to the mailing list? (Bruce)
  - Dean opined that it shouldn't go on the mailing list, it should go to the same place as other build artifacts
  - Don said there is similar (but differently formatted) changelog info already on CENGN
      - he provided this sample link after the meeting: http://mirror.starlingx.cengn.ca/mirror/starlingx/master/centos/20190410T013000Z/outputs/CHANGELOG.txt
  - we agreed that what's on CENGN is sufficient for folks who want to see this per-build update info

Sub-Project Updates:
  - Release (Ghada)
      - skipped this since we're having a release meeting later today (at https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20190410T2030 on https://zoom.us/j/342730236)
  - Containers (Frank)
      - Frank's away this week, we skipped this update
  - Security (Ken)
      - great progress on automated ISO scanning to get vulnerability data - able to get raw data now
      - next steps
         - formatting the output for easier review / manipulation - working with Build team on this
         - determine path fwd on scanning containers - work to extend Clear (rejected upstream) OR use same tool we're using on the ISO
  - Ceph upgrade (Vivian)
      - 20 patches uploaded, most reviewed
      - pending test results before we can merge - will do sanity + P1 testcases for pre-merge testing, then functional testing
  - CentOS upgrade (Cindy)
      - working on QAT upgrade - encountered some issues with QAT driver; trending ~1 week late vs. plan
  - Networking (Ghada)
      - had been working through connectivity issues w/ OVS-DPDK - turned out to be a procedural issue - understood & documented now - back in business!
      - OVS in Container is now supported as the default back-end
      - working with the test team to better understand their plans
  - Docs (Michael / Bruce)
      - https://docs.starlingx.io/ is now live with the new structure.  Now we have to write the content - working on the overall plan.
  - Build (Cesar / Scott)
      - working on transforming of the build system to build in layers- working on this w/out impacting
      - switched over to dev/stable this week
  - Dist-Cloud (Dariush)
      - working on 2 things.
          - containerizing the keystone proxy
          - rebasing DB sync of keystone
  - Test (Ada / Numan)
      - prepping input for release plan
      - continued to develop testcases - focused on OpenStack Patch Elim & Containers
      - working to get automated TCs to the community - working on a plan for a plan (Robot Framework)
      - Numan's team has a similar initiative underway for Pytest framework/tests
  - Multi-OS (Cesar)
      - completed 1st PoC - built Ubuntu from scratch, added some STX pkgs, built an ISO; this is repeatable
      - next PoC is to build on top of this, try to make an entire STX cluster
  - Distro.openstack (Bruce)
      - NUMA live migration - plan is to create stx/stein.1 and backport from Artom's reviews.
      - Dean to create branch, Gerry to deliver backport.
      - Future backports (from upstream) will use new branches e..g stx/stein.2, .3, etc... if needed.
      - Good progress on several items in the nova community.  Hoping to have all we need accepted upstream by early June.

  - Repo Name Freeze (Dean)
      - this happens on Friday (April 12)
      - as detailed previously, we'll take the "stx-" prefix off the repo names

  - Project Graduation for Kata Containers (Dean / Ildikó)
      - Kata Containers was made an official OpenStack project
      - Zuul got delayed due to some licensing issues - not their issue, just some stuff the OSF wants to clarify
      - Dean will talk about this at the TSC tomorrow - we need to start making sure we're getting there w/ no surprises
      - Ildikó gave a brief overview of what we'll need to do - it's well understood, we just need to do the prep work to make sure it goes smoothly