[Starlingx-discuss] ipxe boot iso?

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 19:57:42 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 9:46 AM Arce Moreno, Abraham <
abraham.arce.moreno at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Curtis,
>
> > Out of curiosity has anyone ipxe booted stx from the ISO?
>
> Yes, I have tried a couple of times being able to load both the kernel and
> initrd from other Linux distros and StarlingX,
> At the end I was able to boot and install other distros but not StarlingX,
> here you have all my learning written:
>   https://github.com/xe1gyq/starlingx/blob/master/Packet.md
>
> > I'm doing a bit of testing in trying to get stx installed on baremetal
> packet.com
> > <http://packet.com>  nodes and will need to ipxe boot. I thought I'd
> ask before I
> > went to far into working on it. The easy way of using "kernel
> > https://boot.netboot.xyz/memdisk iso raw" and the ISO via http did not
> work,
> > ran out of memory, so might have to get a little more complicated. :)
>
> However, whehn working with StarlingX ISO, I run into the issue of not
> being able to get into the console, Packet Customer Service greatly
> supported me (Chat with an agent is a great option) and reply back after
> investigating:
>
> <Begin Packet Customer Service>
>
> For the ISO issue we would suggest on setting the kernel options. Let him
> know that our x86 servers require console=ttyS1,115200n8, and our aarch64
> servers require console=ttyAMA0,115200
> We recommend to try adding 'console=ttyS1,115200n8' on your t1.small
> server
> eg. kernel https://boot.netboot.xyz/memdisk iso raw console=ttyS1,115200n8
>
> <End Packet Customer Service>
>
> So, I tried that once but got this error:
>
> iPXE> kernel https://boot.netboot.xyz/memdisk iso raw
> console=ttyS1,115200n8
> https://boot.netboot.xyz/memdisk... ok
> Could not select: Exec format error (http://ipxe.org/2e008081)

Interesting, as I didn't get that error, instead I received one about
running out of disk space, which I assume is b/c ipxe/memdisk doesn't load
up that much room.

Thanks for the info, I will keep looking into this. :)

Thanks,
Curtis

--
Blog: serverascode.com