[Starlingx-discuss] Minutes: StarlingX Release Meeting - April 18/2019

Khalil, Ghada Ghada.Khalil at windriver.com
Thu Apr 18 22:18:09 UTC 2019

Agenda/Minutes are posted at:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-releases

Release meeting agenda / notes Apr 18 2019
- TSC approved (by consensus) the release plan option without Dist Cloud
    - Chosen option updated on release plan in google docs
    - Action: Ghada to update release dates on Release Planning Wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StarlingX/Release_Plan
    - Execution / Delivery time!

- Patch Elimination Update:
    - NUMA live migration patch backport should complete within 1-2 weeks.  We have a f/stein.X branch that will be re-branched when 1) new content is merged to upstream stable Stein or 2) we backport additional code.

- Status of other long poll items?
    - Went through all the features and updated the status.
    - See: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HUwbsaSerzFRuvXVB_qvoGdI0Chx1YiiA2WYHwvIoYI/edit#gid=405844719
    - Test team not covered (Ada/Numan are out). Will get an update in the next community meeting.

- Release plan proposal for PTG
    - Brucej: Want to move toward continuous integration - want to catch more bugs and do more testing at code check in time.
           - would like to move toward more frequent releases with less excitement :)
           - Significant challenges in doing builds and running system level tests - need some creative thinking
    - Need to make a distinction between the type of release we are delivering
           - Release with foundational changes
                   - Like stx.2.0 which introduced support for containers and containerization openstack
                   - Lessons from stx.2.0: Under-estimated the complexity and the scale of the changes and the time/effort it would take to test it
           - Release with a number of smaller indepdent features
                   - This would be more deterministic to align on time-based releases moving forward
                   - For stx.3.0, we feel this will be the case.
    - Need to plan in more automation and CI/CD pipe-line work
           - Issue with having systems out in the public
           - Leverage virtual env testing

- Bugs
    - We want to do a scrub of the stx.2.0 bugs. Schedule in the release planning meeting for May 9 or later.
    - Ask the domain owners to do a pre-review and make recommendations