[Starlingx-discuss] How to update an installed image

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 15:45:01 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 10:05 AM Saul Wold <sgw at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 4/24/19 5:50 AM, Wensley, Barton wrote:
> > Victor,
> >
> > StarlingX has two mechanisms for updating software on a running system:
> > - updates (also known as patching): This allows the user to build an updated version of a set of RPMs, bundle them into a patch file and apply them to a running system. We are also working on an update mechanism for containerized applications, which will allow new versions the docker images for an application to be deployed to a running system.
> Is this process being used to build patches between the daily/weekly
> builds? Can we even patch between these?  If I understand this uses the
> "smart" package manager, or is that for the upgrade process?
>
> I understand that there is not yet a process for updating the
> containers, is there a specification being worked on for describing how
> the containerized applications will be updated?
>
> Sau!
> > - upgrades: This allows the user to upgrade a running system from one StarlingX release to the next, including the OS, RPMs and applications. This mechanism will only be supported when moving between StarlingX releases - any fixes delivered to an existing release will use the update mechanism.
> >
> > The update mechanism would be used to deliver a CVE fix (as per your example) to a running system.
> >
> > Bart

Thanks a lot, Bart, following Saul question, is there any place where
I can get documentation about it.

The actual problem that I have is that I have a dedicated HW for
measuring the footprint of the STX image ( described in the
performance presentation I gave 2 weeks ago ) but I really don't want
to reinstall the ISO every time there is a new ISO released in CEGN
that I have to measure and send the results to my personal DB to track
any degradation. Curtis and I have the AR to make it work on packet
infra , Curtis has been working very hard to make the packet infra, I
am in charge fo the test suite. But I had the roadblock of asking
myself, do I have to reinstall the ISO every time. I am glad that you
clarify me that point that there is a way, now if you can point to
more documentation about it I can use to unblock my AR

Thanks a lot

Victor Rodriguez