[Starlingx-discuss] [DOCS] new host-fs CLI commands

Bujold, Kristine Kristine.Bujold at windriver.com
Tue Aug 13 16:49:21 UTC 2019

A new CLI command called host-fs has been introduced to enable resizing of filesystems on a specific host. Changes were also made to the controllerfs API.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx/+bug/1830142

Previously
Previously we allowed resizing of our filesystems through the controllerfs API, which only applied to controller hosts. The controllerfs API modified the following filesystems;
- drbd replicated
                database
                docker-distribution
                etcd
                extension
                glance

- non replicated
                backup
                docker
                scratch

New host-fs API
A new host-fs API has been created to allow a filesystem to be resized on any specific host. The non drbd filesystems from controllerfs (backup, docker and scratch) have been moved to the new host-fs API. Also a new filesystem called "kublet" has been created on all hosts with a default size of 10G.

The new API has the following CLI commands
system host-fs-list <hostname or id>
system host-fs-modify <hostname or id> <fs_name=size> [<fs_name=size> ...]
system host-host-show <hostname or id> <fs name or uuid>

system host-fs-list controller-1

+--------------------------------------+---------+-------------+----------------+

| UUID                                 | FS Name | Size in GiB | Logical Volume |

+--------------------------------------+---------+-------------+----------------+

| a4d83571-a555-4ba5-999f-af709206ae35 | backup  | 40          | backup-lv      |

| d57652a1-af17-47b8-b941-9ebfeee4a56f | docker  | 30          | docker-lv      |

| a84374c6-8917-4db5-bd34-2a8d244f2bf6 | kubelet | 10          | kubelet-lv     |

| 2c026d6f-5c03-4135-abca-c0047aa7f5a6 | scratch | 8           | scratch-lv     |

+--------------------------------------+---------+-------------+----------------+

system host-fs-list compute-1

+--------------------------------------+---------+-------------+----------------+

| UUID                                 | FS Name | Size in GiB | Logical Volume |

+--------------------------------------+---------+-------------+----------------+

| 32e8b0b2-8a26-4c87-ae2e-71477b276740 | docker  | 30          | docker-lv      |

| 223671f7-aed0-4c6e-b1d2-1327aae74439 | kubelet | 10          | kubelet-lv     |

| 36b96d05-febb-411b-a290-abdc5a2be0ff | scratch | 4           | scratch-lv     |

+--------------------------------------+---------+-------------+----------------+

system host-fs-show controller-1 a4d83571-a555-4ba5-999f-af709206ae35

+----------------+--------------------------------------+

| Property       | Value                                |

+----------------+--------------------------------------+

| uuid           | a4d83571-a555-4ba5-999f-af709206ae35 |

| name           | backup                               |

| size           | 40                                   |

| logical_volume | backup-lv                            |

| created_at     | 2019-08-08T03:05:25.341669+00:00     |

| updated_at     | None                                 |

+----------------+--------------------------------------+

system host-fs-modify controller-1 docker=31 kubelet=11

+--------------------------------------+---------+-------------+----------------+

| UUID                                 | FS Name | Size in GiB | Logical Volume |

+--------------------------------------+---------+-------------+----------------+

| a4d83571-a555-4ba5-999f-af709206ae35 | backup  | 40          | backup-lv      |

| d57652a1-af17-47b8-b941-9ebfeee4a56f | docker  | 31          | docker-lv      |

| a84374c6-8917-4db5-bd34-2a8d244f2bf6 | kubelet | 11          | kubelet-lv     |

| 2c026d6f-5c03-4135-abca-c0047aa7f5a6 | scratch | 8           | scratch-lv     |

+--------------------------------------+---------+-------------+----------------+

Filesystem          Supported Hosts              Folder                                  Logical Volume                 Default Size
backup                 controller                             /opt/backups                    backup-lv                             40G
scratch                  all hosts                               /scratch                                scratch-lv                             varies depending on system, configured in kickstart
docker                  all hosts                               /var/lib/docker                  docker-lv                             30G (new fs to worker and storage hosts)
kublet                   all hosts                               /var/lib/kublet                   kublet-lv                              10G (new fs to all hosts)

Changes to controllerfs API
The existing "platform" filesystem is now resizable and added to controllerfs. The "glance" filesystem is now merged into platform. Below are the new filesystems resizable by controllerfs. The backup, docker and scratch filesystems are now resizable under host-fs.

Filesystem                          Folder                                                   Logical Volume                 Default Size
database                             /var/lib/postgresql                          pgsql-lv                                 40G
docker-distribution         /var/lib/docker-distribution        dockerdistribution-lv      16G
etcd                                       /opt/etcd                                            etcd-lv                                  5G
extension                            /opt/extension                                extension-lv                       1G
glance                                   /opt/cgcs                                            cgcs-lv                                   20g (removed and merged with platform)
platform                              /opt/platform                                   platform-lv                          10G
backup                                 /opt/backups                                    backup-lv                            managed by host-fs
scratch                                 /scratch                                                scratch-lv                             managed by host-fs
docker                                 /var/lib/docker                                  docker-lv                             managed by host-fs

Thanks,
Kristine