[Starlingx-discuss] [Container]Introduce a user application generation tool

Eslimi, Dariush Dariush.Eslimi at windriver.com
Tue Dec 3 13:24:29 UTC 2019

Very cool idea, Thanks Mingyuan.

From: Qi, Mingyuan [mailto:mingyuan.qi at intel.com]
Sent: December-03-19 3:56 AM
To: starlingx-discuss at lists.starlingx.io
Subject: [Starlingx-discuss] [Container]Introduce a user application generation tool

Hi Container team,

In the past few months, I've developed more than 10 armada user applications on stx. However, I've been struggling to create these apps by building the dir hierarchy, writing armada manifest and fighting against stx build errors/runtime sysinv errors/armada errors.

There are good reasons for stx system application(e.g. platform-integ-apps) to leverage rpm build model to ensure the consistency of the build system.
But for customer's applications that are not in-tree code, flexible to integrate various helm charts, no runtime override needed, this build model is more of a burden.

Therefore, I developed a user application generation tool aiming to simplify the app development steps. This tool completely decouples app development from stx build, which means the app developers no longer need to fetch stx code/build tool nor to build app by stx build system.

The main features of this tool are:
  1. One command to package chart, generate manifest, checksum and package app.
  2. Supports local dir, git repo and tarball as chart source.
  3. The app manifest abstracts a few important fields from armada schema for user to lower the learning curve of armada.
  4. Static value overrides allowed in app manifest

I've submitted a draft version of this tool for review[0], and created an etherpad[1] to describe more details.
I'd like to know your thoughts about this tool and anything about user application development, feel free to review the commit[0] and/or add comments in etherpad[1] or mailing list. All opinions are welcome.

[0] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/697013/
[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx_app_gen_tool

Best Regards,
Mingyuan