[Starlingx-discuss] [DOCS] Allow configuration of PTP master/slave interfaces

Sullivan, David David.Sullivan at windriver.com
Tue Dec 10 19:50:53 UTC 2019

As part of this Story there are changes that impact documentation. Let me know if you require further details.

Thanks,

David

---
Allow configuration of PTP master/slave interfaces

As part of this story/task we have changed how PTP interfaces are assigned to hosts. PTP master/slave interfaces will not be defined by default. They must be specified by the administrator for each host.

A new option, ptp_role has been added to the interface configuration. This option can be specified using --ptp-role with the host-if-modify and host-if-add commands.

The ptp_role parameter accepts values of master, slave and none. The master and slave roles are limited to platform, SRIOV and VF interfaces. Any number of master and slave interfaces can be specified per host.

If a host has clock_synchronization=ptp there must be at least one host interface with a PTP role specified. This is enforced during host unlock.

Note in order to use UDP for PTP transport, each PTP interface must have an IP assigned. This is enforced during host unlock and when switching PTP transport to UDP.

Example CLI commands/output:

system host-if-add compute-0 ptpif ae eth1000 eth1001 -c platform --ptp-role master
system host-if-modify compute-3 ens803f0 -n sriovptp --ptp-role slave
system host-if-show compute-3 sriovptp
+-----------------+--------------------------------------+
| Property        | Value                                |
+-----------------+--------------------------------------+
| ifname          | sriovptp                             |
| iftype          | ethernet                             |
| ports           | [u'ens803f0']                        |
| imac            | 90:e2:ba:ac:70:00                    |
| imtu            | 1500                                 |
| ifclass         | pci-sriov                            |
| ptp_role        | slave                                |
| aemode          | None                                 |
| schedpolicy     | None                                 |
| txhashpolicy    | None                                 |
| uuid            | a7e2558c-6f58-4764-bda6-becbb82ac890 |
| ihost_uuid      | 4a05a1d4-e0c3-4b9c-970c-21391bdf2462 |
| vlan_id         | None                                 |
| uses            | []                                   |
| used_by         | []                                   |
| created_at      |                                      |
| updated_at      |                                      |
| sriov_numvfs    | 8                                    |
| sriov_vf_driver | netdevice                            |
| accelerated     | [True]                               |

Reviews:
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/696910/
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/696913/

Story: