[Starlingx-discuss] CVE Support and Scanning

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 21:23:44 UTC 2019

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 3:01 PM Michel Thebeau
<michel.thebeau at windriver.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2019-02-04 at 14:41 -0600, Victor Rodriguez wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 2:25 PM Michel Thebeau
> > <michel.thebeau at windriver.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi Victor,

> > > The two sets of metrics are not comparable.  StarlingX policy
> > > should
> > > refer to either CVSS v2 or v3.
> > >
> > But slide in the wiki say : Criticality >= 7 , if V2 = 5 adn V3 =8
> > shoudl that CVE be consider as Criticality >= 7 ?
> > My observation is that we shoudl specify Criticality >= 7 ( for
> > either
> > V2 or V3 )
>

> I believe that Ken has a particular metric in mind, which was not
> documented.  The value of '7' is specific to the metric not
> documentated.  There is a hint in the document that the value '7' is
> for 'critical' CVEs issues.
>
> ... refer to this document:
> https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln-metrics/cvss
>
> '7' is the boundary for the highest rating of CVSS v2.  Where as CVSS
> v3 lists critical as >9.0

Ok , then Based on NVD Vulnerability Severity Ratings  7 is ok for both V2 or V3

We cond then said in the wiki that if CVE critilarity is >= High ...

> > > The text of one of the slides has written "StarlingX depends on the
> > > upstream OS community to fix CVEs".  Is this reference to upstream
> > > you
> > > intend?  In that text 'OS community' would refer to CentOS
> > > community
> > > rather than the example MariaDB community.
> > >
> > Ok, thanks for the clarification.
> > I think that there might be some special cases where we might prompt
> > to apply a CVE patch before CentOS, but that might have to be desided
> > in the security meeeting when they analyze the CVEs
>

> I expect that it is unlikely a team in StarlingX will match the
> proficiency of the teams behind CentOS.  But I agree that the StarlingX
> community will discuss these things.

I have seen cases before, as CVE mantianer of an OS for some time
there were times were the severity of the CVE make us really urgent to
update the package and release a new version of the OS, our mindset
was security first.

As an open comunity I woudl like to hear more feedabck from multiple
users and developers

Regards

Victor