[Starlingx-discuss] Onap with starlingX

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 15:37:23 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 10:11 AM Himanshu Goyal <himanshugoyal500 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> Can we use ONAP on top of StarlingX directly. or I need to change any
> configuration with starlingX ?
>
> Currently we deployed starlingX with 2 servers( 1 controller + 1 compute)
> machine.

I guess it depends on how you want to deploy and manage ONAP. Would you be
using ONAP Operations Manager (OOM)? It deploys into Kubernetes (k8s) and
has a fair number of requirements. Also it depends on what components of
ONAP you want to deploy. ONAP has many pieces and projects.

I've deployed ONAP via OOM a few times in lab situations. From my
perspective there would be two ways to use OOM with StarlingX (STX), either
1) use the Kubernetes that comes with STX or 2) deploy a Kubernetes cluster
onto virtual machines created in the OpenStack deployment of STX. My
feeling is that option #1 makes the most sense (to me anyways) but I'm not
sure where we are in terms of that use case yet in the project as we have
just recently moved to providing k8s.

The other thing to be aware of is that the entire ONAP suite is quite
large...hundreds of containers, I think last time I deployed it was ~190.
Depending on the resources available in the 2 node deployment there may be
not be enough to run all of ONAP. But if you don't need all of it it can be
smaller.

I think ONAP on STX is an important use case so if you have more
requirements you could describe, please do so that we can work towards
ensuring STX is a great place to run systems like ONAP. :)

Thanks,
Curtis

> Regards,
> Himanshu Goyal