[Starlingx-discuss] Recommended C/C++ compiler flag for security

Young, Ken Ken.Young at windriver.com
Fri Jan 18 15:34:24 UTC 2019

See inline.

On 2019-01-17, 5:34 PM, "Victor Rodriguez" <vm.rod25 at gmail.com> wrote:

    On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 10:35 AM Young, Ken <Ken.Young at windriver.com> wrote:

    > Victor,
    >

    > Security work is never completed.  There is always a long list of inventive new vulnerabilities and a laundry list of hardening work to be completed.   The vulnerability work, considering the severity, is generally urgent.  Hardening work is not urgent but important.  In this case, we are dealing with a hardening initiative that focuses on a small area of the code.
    >

    > The challenge is that these small change proposed have larger implications.  As was pointed out on the gerrit reviews, performance and / or functional testing is required.

    Hi Ken

    Just to follow the idea of this mail after hollliday break, you mention that:

     My concern is that we affect the timing / behaviour of stx-ha and
    stx-metal such that they do not work together in some scenarios.  This
    will need to be tested and is certainly larger than a sanity.

    Could you please help to describe n human words, ( I can do the script
    ) how a good test to probe this would look like?
    If you provide me with a basic description of the security test I
    could help writing the first draft of a code test that help us to
    prove if the flags break the functionality

Victor,

At a high level, we need to regress the behaviour of stx-ha and stx-metal to ensure that there is functional issues introduced by the change to the compiler.  As well, we need to look at the system behaviour of ha and metal to ensure no changes have been introduced which affect has behaviour:

- SWACT detection and time
- Multinode failure avoidance
- Heartbeat loss
- lock / unlock
- etc

I believe that Ada has the test for ha and metal.  Please review.

Regards,
Ken Y

    thanks

    Victor R