[Starlingx-discuss] After deploy VM on SRIOV NIC, VM could not get IP from dnsmasq automatically.

Liu, ZhipengS zhipengs.liu at intel.com
Tue Jan 22 08:35:39 UTC 2019

Hi huifeng,

We just want to deploy two VM(VM1, VM2) to 2 sriov VFs and PT_VM to sriov PF as pass through in the same worker node (2 different physical ports of one sriov NIC )
As we talked, the issue is VM1, VM2 and PT_VM could not get IP from Dnsmasq. Still not sure if it is an expected case.
I can configure IP for them manually, then ping between VM1 and VM2  is OK!
If I use network cable to connect this 2 physical ports after configured IP, ping between VM1 and PT_VM doesn't work!

openstack server create --flavor flavor-pcipt --image centos-root-img --port sriov-port vm1
openstack server create --flavor flavor-pcipt --image centos-root-img --port sriov-port2 vm2

Then I tried to deploy VM3 as below
openstack server create --flavor flavor-pcipt --image centos-root-img -nic net-id = net-testpci vm3
I can see VM3 can get IP automatically from Dnsmasq, but ping from VM3 to VM1/VM2 doesn't work!

vm3    | ACTIVE | net-testpci=28.10.10.20             | centos-root-img | flavor-pcipt
vm2    | ACTIVE | net-testpci=28.10.10.19             | centos-root-img | flavor-pcipt
vm1    | ACTIVE | net-testpci=28.10.10.16             | centos-root-img | flavor-pcipt

>From below doc, it seems that PING between VM1 and VM3 should work after some configuration for FDB L2 Agent Extension
I tried to add this extensions to below file and restart service. However, it will cause VM could not be created successfully.
compute-5:/etc/neutron/plugins/ml2/ openvswitch_agent.ini

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/SR-IOV-Passthrough-For-Networking
FDB L2 Agent Extension
The FDB population is an L2 agent extension to OVS agent or Linux bridge. Its objective is to update the FDB table for existing instance using normal port, thus enabling communication between SR-IOV instances and normal instances. The use cases of the FDB population extension are:
1. Direct port and normal port instances reside on the same compute node.
2. Direct port instance using floating IP and network node are located on the same host.

Thanks!
zhipeng