[Starlingx-discuss] [Docs] Release Notes Framework, Call to Action

Arce Moreno, Abraham abraham.arce.moreno at intel.com
Wed Jan 23 19:29:47 UTC 2019

As requested today during our Weekly StarlingX Community meeting, let us know if you need help to start using the existing Release Notes framework.

Agreed "changes" could include a "release note", so at the end of our development cycle, the Release Team can create the official report made of those individual contributions, take Nova Release Notes [1] as an example of that collaboration. What is in for Release Notes? Release Notes Guidelines started here [2] and it ended in our official guideline here [3].

Not every change requires a release note. The first level of agreement for which "changes" to create a "release note" might be at a project level, once every project get used to the process then we all can share our feedback and see if a general StarlingX guideline make sense.

[ Call to Action ]

A typical flow adds 2 additional steps (~ 2 minutes) in your development workflow, you as Developer:

1. Create your "change":
     "Hello My Change"
2. New! Create its release note, remove/edit content in reStructuredText from the generated file, no major effort since git commit information can be reused:
     $ tox -e newnote hello-my-change
        hello-my-change-833a7a5b979e18be.yaml
3. New! Verify release note generation command is successful:
     $ tox -e releasenotes
4. Add both, your "Hello My Change" files and its release note (releasenotes/notes/hello-my-change-833a7a5b979e18be.yaml) to your commit. That's it!

Feel free to let this list know any correction / comment / help.

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/nova/rocky.html
[2] http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/2018-August/000690.html
[3] https://docs.starlingx.io/contributor/release_note_contribute_guide.html