[Starlingx-discuss] bug severity and priority

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jul 17 11:50:00 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-17 10:41:09 +0000 (+0000), Zvonar, Bill wrote:
[...]
> Btw, it'd be nice if Launchpad had a field for Severity, so we
> could track that more easily - does anybody know if we can just
> request this & get it added as a custom field?
[...]

The data model for Launchpad hasn't changed in many years and I
gather its codebase has very few remaining maintainers at Canonical
these days. In the past we've had some limited luck requesting new
methods added to the LP API, so I suppose it can't hurt to ask. You
could file such a feature request here:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+filebug

An alternative (which they are just as likely to recommend, if they
respond to your request) is to use bugtags for this purpose. Those
can have whatever names you want and you can still query based on
them.

It's worth noting that the subjective and non-project-agnostic
nature of severity/importance is what led StoryBoard to not include
fields for them, opting instead for a combination of extensible
worklists (where relative priority can be indicated by manually
ranking different stories, and you can have multiple worklists which
rank them differently according to a variety of arbitrarily-chosen
metrics or individual opinions) and storytags (which can have
whatever names you want and are also usable to populate automatic
worklists and board lanes).
--
Jeremy Stanley