[Starlingx-discuss] Build Layering and refactoring of repos

Scott Little scott.little at windriver.com
Wed Jul 17 15:44:59 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-16 4:42 p.m., Saul Wold wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> I was reviewing the google spreadsheet [0] you shared during the Build
> Sub-team [1] meeting last week. I think this is a good direction and I
> am beginning to understand your logic and urgency around making the
> changes. I have some comments some of the moves.
>
> 1) Did you factor in any of Dean's thoughts about reorgs?
>    email [2] / ethercalc [3]

No, I had missed that one.  Was rather busy with containerized builds
back then.

They all seem like good goals, but orthagonal to partitioning the build
into Distro/Flock.  I think they should be persued as independent
projects.  The tool I am developing to assist in the proposed movements
might aid those projects as well.

> 2) can we remove the stx- prefix from the new repos to start with
> instead of propagating that given we are inside the starlingx/
> namespace alread?
We should be able to do this concurrently if desired.  I like the idea
of getting both high impact changes done at the same time.  My only
concern is that this expands the scope to additional high churn repos.

> 3) not sure if "compile" is right name the layer of packages (go,
> python, rpm, and bash), does bash really belong here, I don't think we
> depend on it for the build, do we ? Is there a specific modification
> to bash that build specific?

Virtually everything depends on bash directly or indirectly through
other build tools.

> 4) openstack-helm* I believe is used by stx-platform-helm, at least we
> saw that dependency with the MultiOS/openSUSE specfiles.
Agree

> 5) Maybe a future move is getting integ/puppet into the toplevel
> puppet repo and ultimately part of ansible-playbooks if the plan is to
> convert to ansible.
I'd like Don's input on this.