[Starlingx-discuss] [starlingx-discuss][devstack/deploy]How to deploy starlingx in a ready centos system?

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 16:03:04 UTC 2019

Hi everyone

Sorry for the delay. Kunpeng I will try to show you what we did for
multi os time ago for our Debian base experiment porting and what we
discuss on Monday morning multi os meeting (you are more than welcome
to join this meeting where we can discuss all this kind of topics)

>From the journey we have had, trying to port starling X to a different
OS than the one provided by CENGN are, this is my feedback:

1)  If you grab the RPMs from the CENGN and try to install on a
vanilla CentOS it might face some runtime dependencies due to
different versions of the libraries that starling x is using. is
necessary to fix all these installation problems. However, is worth to
try first to install all the flock services

2) Hopefully, there will be no need to rebuild, since we are using
CentOS 7.6 as a base, however as I mentioned before, Starting X uses
some specific versions of the libraries (the reason why to use that
specific version of the library is not clear to me yet, but the build
system is configured that way) and it might be necessary to rebuild
them. I was working on fixing missing build requirements a few months
ago, in order to have all the build req complete and being able to
build using plain mock.

4) When running the services you will realize they don't use systemd
as standard, however, is possible to as long as all the runtime
requirements are fulfilled.

5) As mentioned before, the kernel has many patches that are applied
on the top of the SRPM. After an analysis that Mario Carrillo, Saul,
and Abraham did months ago it was possible to reduce the patches to
only 5 when we port to Debian kernel LTS (4.15). These ones are
documented on the https://github.com/starlingx-staging/stx-packaging
repository:

0001-StarlingX-Death-of-Arbitrary-Process-Notification.patch
0002-StarlingX-Kernel-Threads-Compute-CPU-Affinity.patch
0003-StarlingX-Kernel-Threads-Workqueues-IRQs.patch
0004-StarlingX-Kernel-Threads-iSCSI.patch

( the other patches are for performance or are already applied on the
LTS 4.15 kernel )

After having the kernel and flock services compiled and installed on
the vanilla CentOS, is necessary to install the starling X version of
other components of the OS such as bash and systemd, packages that
have patches for starling X

After that, we would be able to start to test that each flock service
works as expected. We are working on the development of white-box
tests for the flock services, but in the meantime, we are learning of
the intrinsics of the code to understand what to test.

It has been a long journey to arrive here, but we hope that our
findings could help you.

In the multi os team, we keep working to make this possible, we are
short of hands but if you are interested to join we would be more than
welcome.

Regards

Victor Rodriguez