[Starlingx-discuss] about openstack-helm version

Bailey, Henry Albert (Al) Al.Bailey at windriver.com
Tue Jun 4 13:21:01 UTC 2019

For question 1, I think typically the tactic for dealing with upstream fixes is
- we source the solution upstream ( in this case, it looks like a solution already exists)
- we apply that patch in our repo (example:  https://opendev.org/starlingx/upstream/commit/c4bed237e9d60f1bd1cc68400e5548b561a298a0 )
- once we rebase to a newer version of that upstream component, we remove the local patches that already exist upstream.  If all of our local patches are no longer needed, and we no longer need to build src rpms, we may switch to prebuilt rpms.
- rebasing to a newer version of a component is typically driven by a story, since there can be complications and oftentimes these need to be synchronized

For question 2 the openstack upstream projects are locked down through the branch in the manifest (default.xml)
Not all are locked down in manifest, but that’s mostly because I'm still cleaning them out (as things are becoming containerized they do not need to be checked out into the workspace)
We also include upstream components through lst files  in  https://opendev.org/starlingx/tools/src/branch/master/centos-mirror-tools
Sometimes we need to update these, depending on the problem we are trying to fix.

Al