[Starlingx-discuss] Community activity dashboard

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jun 5 16:23:58 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-05 15:08:36 +0000 (+0000), Penney, Don wrote:
> To follow up on the discussion on the call this morning...
>
> Here's one example of "Committer" being used rather than author.
> Jack Ding had helped with upstreaming a lot of our early commits.
> The biterg page shows him having 120 commits in config, but he's
> listed as the author of 6:
>
> config$ git log --pretty=fuller |grep '^Commit:.*Jack Ding' | wc -l
> 118
> config$ git log --pretty=fuller |grep '^Author:.*Jack Ding' | wc -l
> 6
[...]

Keep in mind that Gerrit authenticates committers, not authors, and
so can only enforce a CLA or the DCO by mapping the committer's
identity to a specific Gerrit account. As a result, pushing a change
for another author may circumvent legal protections, so this
behavior is generally discouraged and should ideally come with some
manual confirmation and affirmation the author really has agreed to
whatever legal paperwork the project requires whenever an exception
is made.

As an aside, the Gerrit account to push the first patch set of a new
change is set as the "owner" of that change in Gerrit. This is the
value we use when generating electoral rolls, sending event
discounts, or building lists of contributors for release
announcements. There's a good chance this is also what Bitgeria is
using under the hood to associate changes with contributors for the
report.
--
Jeremy Stanley