[Starlingx-discuss] #! /usr/bin/env usage in python files

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Mon Jun 10 22:05:37 UTC 2019

Folks,

As you know we have been using OBS to start building openSUSE based
rpms. One set of the warning / errors we have seen have to do with
executable vs non-executable files based on location, premissions, and
shebang contents. Sometimes it's an executable file (755) without a
shebang, sometimes it's a file that contains shebang but is not
executable (644) and there are other cases. We are working to submit
permission fix-up and/or changes adding/removing shebang as needed

Many of the scripts that do have shebang use /usr/bin/env which prevents
the RPM runtime from correctly detecting the dependencies. So I would
like to find out if there is any reason to not use /usr/bin/python
directly or other executable as appropriate. I am aware that 'env' is
used to help determine the explicit location of a binary in case it's in
a different location on different OS implementations. For our proposes,
currently all the OSes for the multiOS discussion have python in /usr/bin.

If there is no issues, we can start submitting patches for review.

Thanks
Sau!