[Starlingx-discuss] Reviews for the Docs mega-spec

Waines, Greg Greg.Waines at windriver.com
Tue Mar 5 12:29:52 UTC 2019

See comments in-lined below,
Greg.

From: "Jones, Bruce E" <bruce.e.jones at intel.com>
Date: Monday, March 4, 2019 at 5:23 PM
To: Curtis <serverascode at gmail.com>
Cc: "starlingx-discuss at lists.starlingx.io" <starlingx-discuss at lists.starlingx.io>
Subject: Re: [Starlingx-discuss] Reviews for the Docs mega-spec

* Is multi-region a thing in STX? Will we be doing both distributed cloud and multi-region? There's a fairly long history of the term "multi-region" in openstack and I'm wondering if that is the same thing or not?

I’ve heard conflicting views from multiple folks on whether Multi-Region will be supported in the May release.  Given that the work to implement the Mega-spec spans multiple releases, we could leave it in as a placeholder if the feature isn’t ready for May but will be in November.

[Greg] yeah ... still TBD whether we continue to support Multi-Region in STX ... it has not had a lot of uptake.
It still makes sense as a possible scenario ... i.e. a Primary Region and multiple Secondary Regions sharing some services of the Primary.
It addresses some of the Controller Services scalability issues in OpenStack.

* Can we point to upstream docs for things like provider networks?

Of course.  My assumption was that such would be a level of detail for that document’s author to address.
[Greg]
Yeah ... we’ll point upstream where we can ... but provider networks are not fully modelled in Neutron.  We tried to upstream this to Neutron but it was turned down.  So the high level modelling of the configuration of the provider networks themselves was moved to STX as part of the infrastructure.

* Overall, if we did all this documentation, which is fairly aggressive in a good way, a lot of it would be valuable upstream. Does it make sense to try to work with openstack docs?

We are already using the standard OpenStack docs tools and processes.  Speaking just for me and not for the Docs team, I think it would make sense to collaborate more with them.

[Greg] yeah not sure I understand your comment Curtis, this is upstream openstack documentation.
Greg.

     brucej