[Starlingx-discuss] Reviews for the Docs mega-spec

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 14:30:24 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 9:00 AM Waines, Greg <Greg.Waines at windriver.com>
wrote:

> <SNIP>
>
> * Overall, if we did all this documentation, which is fairly aggressive in
> a good way, a lot of it would be valuable upstream. Does it make sense to
> try to work with openstack docs?
>

> We are already using the standard OpenStack docs tools and processes.
> Speaking just for me and not for the Docs team, I think it would make sense
> to collaborate more with them.
>

> [Greg] yeah not sure I understand your comment Curtis, this is upstream
> openstack documentation.
>
> Greg.
>

> Ok, say you document multi-region architecture and do a great job at it,
> so it describes how multi-region works in openstack whether it's stx or
> not...where does that document live? In stx docs or openstack docs?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Curtis
>

> The STX document would focus on how options/parameters within the STX
> Installation scripts (e.g. config-controller, config-region, ... and
> ansible playbook in the future) are used to setup an OpenStack Multi-Region
> environment with StarlingX ... and would refer to upstream openstack
> documentation for the description of what OpenStack Multi-Region is in
> general.

Ok, now show me the upstream openstack documentation for multi-region. :)
I'm having a hard time finding it right now. Doesn't mean it's not there, I
just can't find it in a quick search.

All I'm saying is that if we actually documented everything in the spec,
that would be a lot of useful architecture docs that may very well not
exist upstream at this time. There used to be some architecture guides, I
think there is still an HA guide, but I'm sure that there are areas that
could be improved. And if stx helps to improve those docs, then it would
help people outside of the stx project to understand what stx is.

Thanks,
Curtis

--
Blog: serverascode.com