[Starlingx-discuss] STX performance tests update

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 13:15:20 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 10:21 PM Victor Rodriguez <vm.rod25 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 5:19 PM Curtis <serverascode at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 11:54 AM Victor Rodriguez <vm.rod25 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi team
> >>
> >> After some research on the topic and the great help from Numan's team,
> >> I came into this great presentation about how to use OPNFV for
> >> performance metrics (video available at [0]):
> >>

> https://www.openstack.org/assets/presentation-media/OpenStack-Summit-Vancouver-OPNFV-Test-tools-2.pdf
> >>
> >> It was presented on May 2018 OpenStack Summit, Here is described
> >> Yardstick Test Case for performance measurement, They do have a very
> >> good wiki on how to do :
> >>
> >> Installation and run:
> >>
> http://artifacts.opnfv.org/yardstick/colorado/2.0/docs/userguide/index.html#document-07-installation
> >>
> >> Description of every test case :
> >>
> https://docs.opnfv.org/en/stable-fraser/submodules/yardstick/docs/testing/user/userguide/15-list-of-tcs.html
> >>
> >> After a quick view, Yardstick has the capability to measure
> >> performance in 3 sections:
> >>
> >> * Compute
> >> * Storage
> >> * Network
> >>
> >> With multiple tests cases for each one ( slide 13 of presentation )
> >>
> >> This is a simple update to keep the community informed about the
> >> progress on this topic, if someone has any feedback, please let me
> >> know.
> >

> > I haven't used Yardstick, but it sounds like a step in the right
> direction. Perhaps we can find things to push back upstream to OPNFV.
> >
> > What I'm hoping is that we can use the Packet.com resources that should
> be available soon to run automated performance tests and then publish the
> results on a continual basis. I'm definitely interested in helping out. :)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Curtis
> >

> Thanks a lot Curtis, CI/CD definitely is the next step ones I could
> enable this from the developer perspective. My goal is to provide a
> simple tutorial/script to run a test on a pre-configured and working
> STX cloud system that developers could use to measure their changes.
> Once I have this and make a demo I will ping you to try in your dev
> machine and then TSC can decide to deploy this on Packet. The good
> thing about Yardstick is that it has a connection to grafana so we
> don't have to worry about a dashboard : ) .
>
> The concern that I have (that I would like input from the TSC) is how
> to define what configuration we want to use on Packet as baseline
> configuration, this is important because a change in the configuration
> might represent a huge change in performance results.

Yes it would be pretty easy to create a configuration that doesn't perform
well. :) There are many, many variables, many of which would be out of our
control or are a black box.

For sure part of this would be to determine what configuration, or
configurations, would be best to test, and those decisions described. I
would expect we would create a baseline configuration and then expand from
there.

Also, are we ok
> to compare the STX results against regular OpenStack
> Performanceomrance numbers is always hard to handle since they are
> very senitive. I would like to bring this topic to the TSC or comunity
> meeting so we can tak e a decision as comunity. My work might finish
> when we could have a way to get the numbers, publication, and track of
> them might be a decision out of my scope.

I think the focus would be on simply having data to compare for STX, not to
compare STX against other distros or projects. I'm not sure what "regular
openstack" is to be honest. :)

My example is Kata Containers who do performance testing to ensure that
they are not losing 1% a month. I'd just like to see some trending data.

Thanks,
Curtis

--
Blog: serverascode.com