[Starlingx-discuss] Distro.openstack meeting notes Mar 12th 2019

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 15:14:47 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 8:55 AM Jones, Bruce E <bruce.e.jones at intel.com> wrote:
[...]
> ยท         We need to define our branching strategy.   Create an f/stx-stein branch?  Create a f/nova feature branch for StarlingX?
> We will need to build our Nova container out of the github staging trees - once Nova cuts there first RC (Mar 22nd).  Backports will be checked into github directly.

This is the process I imagined and outlined in the meeting:

* When Nova creates their stable/stein branch at RC1 time we will
create a mirror of that in starlingx-staging/nova as stx/stein.
  * This branch will be periodically updated from stable/stein as
backports appear there from the Nova team.
  * As items on our list of upstream changes land in master (Train) we
will backport them to stx/stein for StarlingX to pick up.
  * There may be times that work upstream has not yet merged but is
sufficiently complete that we would backport early to meet a StarlingX
time requirement, with the expectation that it be brought current with
what finally does merge after that happens.
  * Upstream work that is not yet complete that we want to backport to
meet a StarlingX time requirement should be worked upstream to get it
to the state mentioned above to enable us to backport it to stx/stein.

Still to be decided/confirmed:
* We need to have some measure of testing in stx/stein, I will look in
to what we can run from OpenStack Zuul directly.
* I like the idea of continuing to have only a small number of people
with the ability to commit to the staging repo
* We may want to consider the tactic of keeping our additional commits
in stx/stein rebased on top of the upstream stable/stein rather than
merging in upstream backports.  This would be inconvenient for those
with local copies of the branch after each rebase but it would keep
the SHAs in the upstream commits the same. (I am not convinced yet
that we should do this, still sorting it out)

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com