[Starlingx-discuss] about NVME disk as the boot disk

Penney, Don Don.Penney at windriver.com
Thu Mar 14 03:11:16 UTC 2019

Originally, the kickstarts would automatically select the first disk for installation, which is where the code in "pre_disk_setup_common.cfg" originated. We introduced the configurable installation parameters to allow the user to configure which device should be used - at the time, this was specifically to allow for disk selection in a host with a mix of disks and SDDs. A default of sda was chosen for initial ISO installation of controller-0 as the most common choice (at the time, at least).

There are some considerations for removing this default selection:
a. Just for initial install of controller-0, or for all nodes? As you've seen, it would be easy enough for the ISO boot config. During initial configuration, we check to see which disk was used for the install and record it in sysinv for reinstalls/upgrades, so there'd be no further code changes required.
b. For all nodes: This is set as the default value for configurable installation parameters for each node. We'd need work to support having this value unset by default, changing the utility that generates the pelinux.cfg files for each node. Likewise, we'd need to ensure sysinv-agent records the boot/rootfs device on initial boot and updates the host data in sysinv on the active controller.

Not voting against making such changes, mind you... just noting some of the work items/considerations that would be required.

Cheers,
Don.