[Starlingx-discuss] Contrib or Experimental tools location ??

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 15:08:15 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 11:00 PM Saul Wold <sgw at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I know this was brought up as part of the Virtualbox Python deployment
> tool, which in that case we decided to keep it as was proposed in
> stx-tools/depolyment/virtualbox (logical location).
>
> We are likely going have more contributions that fall into experimental
> that the community may want to try.
>
> Should we have a contrib or experimental repo or subdirectory in
> stx-tools for these contributions?
>
> For example the "StarlingX in a box" work, or another different
> deployment tool for qemu?
>
> Thoughts?

I am in favour of having an experimental repository where useful code that
is not as heavily scrutinized is stored. That code, if used over time, can
be moved out of the repository into a more permanent location with full
project workflows and processes applied. My canonical example is the
osops-tools-contrib [0] repo. I am just always a fan of large open source
projects having something like this where new perhaps inexperienced
contributors can submit code, or organizations can submit code that is not
"fully baked" for overall review for potential usefulness.

Now, how many contributions we might see, and what it might look like are
certainly up for debate, but I still think it's a useful repository to
have, and if it is not used over time then we can remove it. But without it
we'll never know. :)

I am also thinking of myself here as the stx community is putting on a
workshop at the summit and there will likely be code and docs that go with
that, and perhaps this would be a good place for that kind of thing to live.

Thanks,
Curtis

[0]:
https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/osops-tools-contrib/tree/README.rst