[Starlingx-discuss] Minutes: StarlingX Release Meeting - March 14/2019

Khalil, Ghada Ghada.Khalil at windriver.com
Thu Mar 14 22:24:28 UTC 2019

Thank you to all who attended the release sub-project meeting today.

Agenda/Minutes are posted at:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-releases

Release Meeting Agenda/Notes - March 14/2019
Goals for the meeting:
- Ghada: Review the overall status of the release -- item-by-item as well as overall
    - Acknowledge whether the current dates are achievable
- If not, work on a plan to revise the release dates
- Bruce: There are people waiting for this release. There is interest by one party to deploy StarlingX as an edge device.
    - We need to set a high bar for ourselves
    - We need to have a stable release with the required content
- Bill: What is the critical path? Which items need more attention and how can we bring focus to these items?

Current Dates
- MS-3: Apr 8-12 2019  / RC1:  Apr 29-May 3 2019  / Release: May 20-24 2019
    - Countdown to MS-3 is 4wks

Green -- On Track / Non-Blocking Items
- CVE Upgrades
- CentOS upgrade to 7.6
    - Kernel and user-space packages have merged as of March 11
    - ovs-dpdk upversion is in progress: some issues to work through, but we feel this can make it
- Python3 Readiness
    - Prep. Not gating the StarlingX release schedule.
- Integrate Containerized OVS
    - On track; this should be ready before the current MS-3
- Non-Openstack Patch Backlog Reduction
    - Best effort; does not gate the StarlingX release schedule
- Openstack Rebase
    - Most components have been rebased.
    - Final item is to complete the rebase of horizon, keystone, Barbican on the host. Fcst: March 30
    - Green for milestone-3
- DevStack Enablement
    - Not gating the StarlingX release schedule
- OVS-DPDK Enhancements
    - Small enhancements; this should be ready before the current MS-3

Yellow -- Watch List
- Documentation
    - 35 stories in play. Not fully staffed currently. Need more community help to land this.
    - Still working more detailed plans.
    - On watch to determine what is the minimal set required for the release (need to focus on resourcing those items) and what can come after
- Anisble bootstrap Deployment
    - Preliminary code is available, but facing issues in testing.
    - Status is yellow relative to the current MS-3
    - Anchor feature
- Ceph Upgrade
    - Need an update from Cindy, but it feels like this is about 1wk past the current forecast (Apr 5), so pushes against the current MS-3 date.

Red -- Won't Make the current dates
- Containers
    - Anchor Feature -- holds up the release
    - 28 stories still open
    - Frank currently working story-by-story on a new forecast
    - Action: Frank - Plan to have a new plan/forecast by March 22
- Distributed Cloud
    - Anchor Feature -- holds up the release
    - Direct dependency on containers. Got impacted by a late start due to the containers cut-over.
    - With the containers cut-over done, we now are able to make progress. Dependency is finish-to-finish now.
    - Action: Dariush - Plan to have a new plan/forecast by March 22
- Distro Openstack Patch Elimination
    - Anchor Feature -- holds up the release
    - Policy is to upstream to train first, then backport to StarlingX
    - Still need to work out timing/plan in terms of reviews being posted and stable
    - Need to decide the key items the StarlingX release should be gated on
    - Action: Bruce to figure out plan proposal
           - Not confident we can have a full plan by next week, but will work towards a clearer view - especially around the gating items

Test Readiness
- Test Case Definition is on track
- Feature Testing (Execution)
    - Action: Ada/Numan to update each feature on the release plan with the "Feature Tested" date.
    - For Features where are the dates are being re-worked, wait until next week when a new date is available
- Regression Testing (Execution)
    - Original plan has release regression starting next week
    - However, with the shift in a number of key features, this plan needs to be re-examined

Bug Resolution
- Review in next meeting
- Need to make sure the new dates provide adequate time for bug resolution.

Conclusion:
- Current MS-3 is highly unlikely  >> knock-on effect to the subsequent release milestones as well
- Next week we will work on proposal for the new date based on revised plans for the above items

Regards,
Ghada