[Starlingx-discuss] [Container] Ironic service containerization

Qi, Mingyuan mingyuan.qi at intel.com
Fri Mar 15 06:34:00 UTC 2019

Hi Greg,

My understanding for your questions.

-        [Greg] Do we want Ironic to be an OPTIONAL service in StarlingX ?
[Mingyuan] I’m going to add ironic to stx-openstack and enable it by node label, as Brent said.

-        [Greg] Where do we want Ironic Conductor running ?

[Mingyuan] I suppose ironic is running on controllers since ipmi connects to oam network.

-        [Greg] Is it possible to have an HA deployment of Ironic Conductor in vanilla upstream ironic ?

[Mingyuan] ironic conductor HA is supported in vanilla upstream ironic, ironic conductor pod will run on both controllers. I need further investigation of this.

Ø  “There can be multiple instances of the conductor service to support various class of drivers and also to manage fail over. Instances of the conductor service should be on separate nodes.”

Ø  https://docs.openstack.org/ironic/latest/install/get_started.html#deployment-architecture

-        [Greg] How do we set it up such that system can manage both VM Instances and Bare Metal Instances ? will/can these be setup as part of starlingx system overrides ?

[Mingyuan] Sounds good with host aggregate. For overrides, let me figure this out.

-        [Greg] I don’t understand why doing testing of ironic on hardware will take a long time.

[Mingyuan] Bare metal deployment manually of starlingx usually takes more time than that in vm. In addition, to test functionality of ironic, more ironic nodes are needed for installing tenant instances, which obviously takes more time than installing the vm instances.

Mingyuan