[Starlingx-discuss] Re-branding wrsroot proposal

Jim Somerville jim.somerville at windriver.com
Mon May 6 21:08:15 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-06 2:32 p.m., Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 1:06 PM Wensley, Barton
> <Barton.Wensley at windriver.com> wrote:
>> I guess I'm less concerned about using stx or starlingx than others. Obviously "wrs" is bad since it is tied to a company. But it seems common practice to use the project name for the default user (think nova, neutron, glance, etc...).
>
> The only reason I'd be reluctant to include a project identifier is
> because those things can change and this is just painful enough to not
> want to do again.
>
> 'admin' has other uses at the OS level, we need to be clear enough to
> not cause confusion there.  Unless it has other similar uses
> 'sysadmin' is the best I have heard and I do not have a better
> suggestion.

Just to be devil's advocate here, sysadmin could easily already be in
use on a future port of this stuff to another platform.

 From a security standpoint, it would be on an easily guessed list of
userids for black hat penetration testing.

It also shows up on the Big Username Blacklist.

https://github.com/marteinn/The-Big-Username-Blacklist/blob/master/list_raw.txt

-Jim